I leave for work in the mornings before the sun rises. I’m generally out of the house by 6:15-6:20. I don’t mind though because working 7-3:30 allows me to get home and have dinner made and cleaned up by a decent hour. Unfortunately, because I leave so early I feel limited with breakfast options. I love smoothies but I would wake a little 2 year old boy if I turned the blender on at 6AM…and let’s face it, when you make them the night before they do not taste the same the next morning. So, I’ve found myself hunting for (healthy) breakfast ideas that I can make on Sunday that will last through the week and I can easily grab-n-go for work.
I stumbled across this delicious oatmeal bake this week and had to try it out! Recipe was originally from Taste of Home but I found a modified version on emilybites.com. I’ve printed many recipes from there and drizzlemeskinny.com lately and I cannot wait to give them all a try.
For now though, here’s the recipe for the Peach and Blueberry Oatmeal bake!
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (15oz) sliced peaches (I used diced peaches in 100% juice)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used frozen)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine dry ingredients (oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt) in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg, applesauce, milk and vanilla.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stir until blended. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Add blueberries and peaches.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and pour oatmeal mixture in evenly. Top with pecans.
- Bake uncovered for approximately 30-40 minutes.
“Beloved I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers”. 3 John 2 NKJV